Semester at Sea

This semester I will be on a ship taking classes and traveling to different countries. I will visit Cadiz, SPAIN ~ Casablanca, MOROCCO ~ Takoradi, GHANA ~ Cape Town, SOUTH AFRICA ~ Port Louis, MAURITIUS ~ Chennai, INDIA ~ SINGAPORE ~ Ho Chi Minh City, VIET NAM ~ Hong Kong/Shanghai, CHINA ~ Kobe/Yokohama, JAPAN ~ Honolulu/Hilo, HAWAII ~ San Diego, USA.

Email me at lawilson@semesteratsea.net :)

Thursday, November 25, 2010

TOKYO!

The last two days in Japan were awesome! We got off the ship as early as we could when we got to Yokohama and got directions to Tokyo from the information desk at the port. It seemed like it would be easy enough, but it ended up taking way longer than we thought it would. It wasn’t too difficult getting to Tokyo (even though over the course of the two days I realized that the Tokyo subway system is by far the most confusing and complicated system we have experienced), but it took us forever to find our hostel once we were there. We asked about 10 different people for directions, but no one could give us a clear answer. Finally, a police officer pointed us in the right direction – I don’t know what it is about hostels being in alleys, but it seems like every one I’ve stayed at has been impossible to find. Haha
       
We got to the Ninja capsule hostel, checked in, and found Ariel’s friend who lives in Japan and was going to hang out with us.
       
We went spent most of the day walking around. We went to the busiest intersection in the world in Shibuya, but it wasn’t as impressive as I thought it would be. I guess it wasn’t rush hour or something, because it definitely didn’t seem like a few thousand people were crossing. Either way it was cool to see…especially since I watched Babel today to write a paper for my film class, and they were at the same intersection.
       
We ate lunch (pizza of course. Haha…it is our favorite food…) and then went back to the hostel to meet up with Heidi, Shannon, Adam and Kristen.  We spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out and walking around. Before long it was time for dinner, and in yet another attempt to be cultural, we went down the street and got Domino’s. haha (we did try to go to an actual restaurant first but it was wayyy too expensive). I have to say though, it was the best Domino’s I’ve ever had!
       
After we ate and got changed, we went out to karaoke and had a lot of fun!
       
That night we slept in our capsules. It wasn’t at all what I had expected from seeing pictures from other capsule hostels, but it was still cool.
       
The next day we went with Ariel’s friend back to Yokohama and explored around there. We were pretty tired though, so after lunch we said goodbye and went back to the ship.
       
I really loved Japan! I was a little anxious to leave since we’re going to be on the ship for 10 days before Hawaii. I have LOTS of work to do for class though, so hopefully the cabin fever doesn’t get too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment